Microsoft are introducing a new syncing model for sharing calendars in Outlook for Mac. These changes will bring improved reliability and performance of calendar sharing in Outlook for Mac based on the use of REST technology.
In the past, the list of shared calendars was previously stored locally for each installation of Outlook for Mac. As a result of this upgrade, Outlook for Mac will now use the server-roamed list of calendars. These improvements, planned only for mailboxes hosted in Office 365, will sync calendars via REST rather than Exchange Web Services (EWS).
When migrated to the new calendar syncing model, customers should expect to experience the following improvements:
– Consistent sharing permissions that matches the other modern Outlook clients (Outlook mobile, Outlook on the web, and Outlook for Windows)
– The ability to share a secondary calendar without having to share a primary calendar – A quick action feature to accept calendar sharing invitations from the Inbox
– View the same calendars in Mac as you see in all the other Outlook applications
– Open & view any calendar, even if you only have free/busy permissions
– Support for inline images in meetings & appointments
Over the course of the following months, Microsoft will continue the roll out and they anticipate rollout completion by the end of the calendar year. If you welcome this update, then there’s nothing you need to do to prepare for this change.
If you would like to prevent this change from rolling out to your users in waves, and would rather deploy the change to all of your users simultaneously, you can do so by leveraging the following preferences:
– Domain = com.microsoft.Outlook
– Type = Boolean – Value = TRUE
– Sample Terminal Command = “defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook AdminCalShareOFF -bool TRUE”
After the rollout is completed, these preference settings will no longer be available, and any users that have not already received the upgrade will be upgraded automatically.
Disclosure: Some of the links on are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support the VOUdeals website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Tags: Microsoft, Office 365, Outlook for Mac